Each week we are posting General Intercessions for the upcoming Sunday liturgies by Msgr. Joseph Masiello, retired pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Westfield, NJ. These intercessions are based on the assigned scriptures, the liturgical season and current events.
SEVENTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
CELEBRANT: The psalmist prayed: “You open your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing.” Let us turn, then, with confidence to our God who is near to all who call upon him!
READER: Please respond, “LORD, HEAR OUR PRAYER!”
1. That all who are united by sharing one Spirit, one faith, and one baptism may soon also be at one table fed by Christ Jesus with the bread of life and the cup of eternal salvation, we pray. . .
2. That all peoples ravaged by war and violent divisions may recognize our common humanity and learn to live lives worthy of the children of one God and Father, we pray. . .
3. That this year’s harvest in every land may be bountiful, and that prosperous nations may work generously and in peace for a just allocation of the earth’s food, we pray. . .
4. That those who bring life to others through the Ministry of the Eucharist, Food Pantries, Soup Kitchens, and Food Banks may be blessed abundantly for their holy service and in turn bless abundantly those to whom they minister, we pray. . .
5. That hearts may be transformed so that all may both recognize gun violence to be the hideous evil that it is and welcome common sense gun legislation, we pray. . .
6. That our community of Faith, nourished at the one table of the Lord, may maintain the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace by our bearing with one another in love, we pray. . .
7. That there may be an increase in vocations to the priesthood and the religious life for the sake of the Eucharistic community, we pray. . .
8. That the seriously ill in our community and among our family members and friends may be gifted with love’s comfort and the healing touch of our God, (especially ______________), we pray. . .
9. That the sorrowing may be consoled by Easter’s glorious promise; and,
, (and) all our beloved dead come to rest eternally in our God’s love and peace, we pray. . .
CELEBRANT: Gracious God, the eyes of all look hopefully to you, and you give them food in due season. In your generosity, answer our prayers which we raise up to you through Christ our Lord.