Each week we are posting General Intercessions for the upcoming Sunday liturgies by Msgr. Joseph Masiello, retired pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Westfield, NJ. These intercessions are based on the assigned scriptures, the liturgical season and current events.
TWENTY-NINTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
CELEBRANT: With steadfast hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, let us pray to the God who calls us by name.
READER: Please respond, “LORD, HEAR OUR PRAYER!”
1. That, with allegiance to a higher authority, the People of God may lift up a prophetic voice on behalf of those whose voice has no hearing, we pray. . .
2. That the hearts of the nations’ leaders may be transformed so that everywhere there may be an end to war and the cycle of violence, and a new dawning of peace for all, we pray. . .
3. That missionaries who give over their lives to proclaiming the glory of the Lord may be loving, wise, and holy witnesses of Christ our Savior, and be blessed in abundance for their labors, we pray. . .
4. That there may be an increase in vocations to the priesthood and the consecrated life for the sake of the believing community, and for those who know not the way unless someone show them, we pray. . .
5. That relief workers providing assistance to those affected by the wild fires and hurricanes, as well as those ministering to the so many afflicted with the corona virus, may be safe, and know success beyond measure in their efforts to bring hope and comfort to God’s hurting people, we pray. . .
6. That soon and very soon those searching for a vaccine for the virus and remedies to mitigate its effects may have their efforts rewarded, we pray. . .
7. That the seriously ill in our parish community and among our family members and friends may be gifted with love’s comfort and the healing touch of our God, (especially____________________,) we pray. . .
8. That Easter’s glorious promise may wrap the hearts of those among us sorrowing for loved ones; and, ____________________, (and) all our beloved dead come to the eternal embrace of God’s love and peace, we
pray. . .
CELEBRANT: God of faithfulness and love, you are the Lord and there is no other besides you. Bring comfort to those in need and make your kindness flow over your troubled world like a gentle stream flowing in the forest. Inspire us to work tirelessly and compassionately for a world of justice and peace. We ask this through Christ our Lord.